Do small buildings need an EPC?

Small buildings become exempt from needing an EPC on the basis of their size if they are completely detached and have a floor area of less than 50m2.

Other small buildings below 50m2 are not exempt.

These are the requirements of the Department of Communities and Local Government. The RICS Code for Measuring Practice is used to assess the net internal floor area.

This is the case for EPCs required at the point of sale or let. However, all buildings, irrespective of size will require an EPC for a feed-in tariff assessment or for the Green Deal.

More News

Plastic Free July

The Plastic Free July Challenge offers ideas to help people all around the world reduce single-use plastic waste in their daily lives, whether at home, work, school or their favourite coffee shop!

Public Open Spaces: The Secret Weapon for Sustainable Cities

Public open spaces, those havens of green amidst the urban jungle, are more than just places to relax. They're vital components of a thriving, sustainable city, contributing to a healthy environment, a strong community, and a happy populace. In a world striving to achieve the UN's Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), green spaces are emerging as a powerful tool.

Does Your Office Make the Most of Natural Daylight?

5 key benefits to maximising natural daylight in your office

Vertical farming using hydroponics to lower emissions

Vertical farming allows for the efficient use of space by stacking crops on multiple levels, producing a higher yield per square metre than traditional farms, and allows crops to be grown in urban areas where land is limited.

Ramsgate Historic Quarter & Sustainability

Does video streaming have a carbon footprint?

Be mindful of music or video streaming - it creates a carbon footprint! Here's how to lower it...